Want to raise a few eyebrows at your next picnic or barbeque? Try our Chaat Masala Fruit Salad for a wholly unexpected treat. This traditional Indian street food combines pungent, piquant and savory spices with black salt, citrus and fresh fruit for a refreshing summer treat. The flavor combinations are outstanding. Try the party sized recipe below and mix it up with just about any seasonal fruits. We were wishing we had some watermelon….or mango….or….
- 2 bananas
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 oranges
- 2 apples
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 cups red grapes
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint or cilantro
- Chop fruit into bite sized pieces and combine in a large bowl. Reserve half of one of the oranges unsliced.
- In a small bowl, combine the chaat masala, asafoetida, black salt and lemon or lime juice. Zest the rind from the reserved half orange into the mixture and squeeze in the juice. Mix well and pour over the fruit mixture.
- Garnish with mint or cilantro.
World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com
Categories: Course, Global Cuisines, Indian Subcontinent, Recipes, Sides, Snacky Bits, Sweet Somethings
Tags: BBQ, Fruit, fruit salad, indian, Picnic, Side-dish, street food, summer treat