Healthy and versatile, this side dish has a great combination of texture and flavor. The nutty base of wild rice is studded with chewy barberries and crisp chunks of tart apple.These complement the umami of the mushrooms and the salty shavings of cheese. The secret ingredient that brings it all together is savory. If you’ve never played with this herb, this dish is the perfect stage. Traditionally used in French herbal blends, savory is a powerhouse of flavor, delivering notes of like pepper, thyme and rosemary that make the one ingredient taste like many. This hearty side dish can be served with just about any protein alongside and is great for brunch through dinner. We also admit to eating it cold straight from the fridge the next day.
Wild Rice with Barberries and Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1/4 cup julienned shallot
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 tablespoons barberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Alderwood Smoked Salt
- 1 cup Granny Smith apple, diced
- ¼ cup roughly chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup shaved pecorino cheese
- Add the olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, shallots and savory, and cook until the mushrooms are browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, cooked wild rice, barberries, maple syrup and smoked salt.
- Continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated and the ingredients are well warmed and combined, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and add the apple and spinach, stirring to combine.
- Portion into bowls and garnish with pecorino cheese.
© 2021 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com