Now that the 4th of July has passed, summer has truly begun in Seattle. The sun is shining, the BBQ is fired-up, and a wild game of badminton is underway. The players and onlookers are thirsty, and I’ve got just the thing. This refreshing lemonade is perfect for hot summer afternoons like these. The soothing taste of fragrant basil and the zesty flavor of ruby-red Aleppo pepper create a delicious, thirst quenching treat. The simple syrup can be used to make wonderful cocktails as well. Many thanks to our good friend Carol Peterman for sharing her recipe with us.
Aleppo Pepper Basil Lemonade
Aleppo Pepper Basil Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 oz fresh basil (leaves and stems)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Aleppo pepper
- 3/4 cup Aleppo Pepper Basil Simple Syrup
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups water
- Sprigs of fresh basil and slices of lemon (for garnish)
For Simple Syrup
- Combine all of the ingredients for the simple syrup together in a medium-sized sauce pan and bring to a boil. Let the syrup boil for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Be sure to let cool to room temperature before using it for the lemonade. Once it has cooled, strain and refrigerate it for use in beverages.
- Combine the simple syrup, fresh lemon juice and water in a large pitcher. Stir to combine, and chill until ready to serve. Pour over ice, adding fresh basil sprigs and lemon slices for a garnish.
Thank you to our good friend and spice goddess, Carol Peterman of TableFare, for this fantastic recipe!
© 2023 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com