This eastern Mediterranean dish is the perfect example of that regions ability to take simple ingredients like nuts, peppers and olive oil… and make something magical by adding a spice such as Aleppo Pepper. The sweet and sharp chile from the Aleppo region of Syria has a moderate heat and fruity flavor that brings a taste of the sunny Mediterranean to every bite. An elegant alternative to hummus, Muhammara will be the easy holiday hors d’oeuvre that your guests adore.
- 2 (12 oz) jars of roasted red peppers
- 8 oz (1½ cups) of roasted walnuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 teaspoons Italian sea salt
- 1 tablespoons Aleppo pepper
- 3-1/2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 toasted pita, broken into small pieces
- Put the toasted nuts in a food processor or blender, and pulse until they are broken down into small pieces.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning - you might want to add more salt, lemon juice or pomegranate molasses.
- You can then transfer to a serving bowl or put in a container for the fridge. It will keep about a week.
World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com