This cranberry chutney is a cheerful and tasty delight. For anyone who remembers fondly the childhood thrill of a colorful canned fruit cocktail, get ready to re-live it. The chutney is easy to make and comes together in a snap with popping cranberries, crunchy celery and almonds with a topping of lemon zest. A melange of flavor and texture, this chutney does justice to the intensity of the cranberries by mixing it in good company. Serve it alongside your holiday meal and make extra! It is great on turkey sandwiches and freezes well.
Alison’s Cranberry Chutney
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 apple, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 firm pear, quartered and sliced thin
- ½ cups sliced celery
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups whole cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- zest of 1 lemon
- Combine the onion, raisins, apple, pear, celery and salt in a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, water, sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to "pop," about ten minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add the fruit and vegetable mixture, and cook for another fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and gently fold in the almonds and lemon zest.
- Allow to cool, then remove the cinnamon sticks and refrigerate. Serve with holiday dinner and on Turkey sandwiches. A nice topping on plain yogurt or oatmeal. Freezes well.
© 2020 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com
This recipe brought to you by World Spice Family Favorites. Thanks, Alison!