Poudre Forte is a wonderful spice mix that was used throughout medieval Europe and is still used today by culinary recreationists. The actual components may vary, but poudre forte, or “strong powder,” is commonly based on cinnamon, clove and black pepper, some of the most important tender of the early spice trade. We’ve added grains of paradise to enhance the flavor. A sweetly aromatic blend with a good bite, it can be used liberally in both sweet and savory dishes.
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon grains of paradise, ground
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix all of the spices together. This will keep in a jar with a good rubber seal for a few months. For even fresher flavor, keep the cloves, black pepper and grains of paradise whole. Mix them in with the ginger powder and cinnamon and store in a jar. You can then grind however much your recipe calls for when you need it.
Leave a Comment