This fanciful French blend combines nutmeg and pepper with a healthy harvest from the herb garden, to satisfy all your taste buds. Melange Classique is an all purpose seasoning for stews and roasts, pate, stuffing and bean dishes. Melange Classique will work well as a rub on any meat, particularly lamb, duck and pork.
- 2 Turkish bay leaves, crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Indian cayenne
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper, ground
- 1-1/2 teaspoons European coriander, ground
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix all of the spices together. This will keep in a jar with a good rubber seal for a few months. For even fresher flavor, keep the cloves, white pepper and coriander whole. Mix them in with the rest of the ingredients and store in a jar. You can then grind however much your recipe calls for when you need it.
DO YOU STILL SELL MELANGE CLASSIQUE GROUND?
Thanks for reaching out. We chose to take Melange Classique out of inventory because demand was not high enough to keep our stock fresh. The good news is that we’re sharing all the recipe, so those who love it can continue to make it. It’s an easy blend to make and can be ground in either a coffee grinder that is used for spices or using a mortar and pestle. This recipe makes a small batch, but can easily be doubled or tripled, then stored in a jar.