The rich and toasty taste of our Besar blend makes an ideal complement for the pop of fresh cranberry in this exotic twist on a holiday classic. Candied ginger and dried apricots round out the fruity flavors, and the result is an intensely flavored chutney that you can serve well past Thanksgiving. You can try variations too- add an apple to mellow the flavors or some chopped walnuts for a little crunch. Any way you make it, the bright flavor of cranberries add a bit of sunshine to a winter feast.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bag (12 oz) fresh cranberries
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground Besar
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
- Put olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and, stirring frequently, cooking for about 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning. You might want to add more salt, vinegar or brown sugar.
- If you want a 'smoother' sauce, cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool, then put into a covered container in the refrigerator. This will keep for about a week.
© 2021 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com