Making an elaborate and flavorful breakfast doesn’t have to be a lot of work. A large batch of a spice and nut mixture, combined with a bit of sliced fruit and yogurt, can easily give you a week’s worth of breakfasts with only a little bit of preparation.
Caraway is the star of the show in this yogurt topping. The mixture is similar to a granola or streusel in texture, but without the oatmeal or the need for an oven. We normally see this lovely seed in baked goods or savory applications but it’s truly delicious with fruit. The brown sugar and almonds bring out the best of its earthy flavor.
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch of Fleur de Sel
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 pound of mixed fruit; blueberries, figs cut in half, segmented oranges
- Vanilla Greek-style yogurt, for serving
- In a small saute pan, toast the caraway over low heat, stirring, until fragrant. Add the caraway to a mortar and pestle, or coffee grinder that you use for spices.
- Next add the almonds to the pan and toast them until light brown and golden.
- Add the brown sugar and salt to the caraway.
- Using the pestle, grind the mixture until the caraway is cracked. Mix in the almonds and lemon zest. With the mortar grind the spice nut mixture until chunky, or pulse in a spice grinder..
- In a large bowl, toss the fruit mix with 3/4 of the almond mixture; mix well. Move to serving bowls and garnish with the remaining almond mixture.
- Serve with vanilla or plain greek yogurt.
© 2023 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com