Fresh pineapple tastes of a wild summer, its tropical sweetness tempered by raucous acidity. Our favorite way to tame the fruit is to cook it slowly until the pale yellow becomes a rich gold and the sugars take center stage, as in this grilled salsa.
Our Caribbean Spice, with the richness of allspice berries, is the perfect blend for this salsa. A bit of extra cumin adds an intense savory note that’s perfect for grilling. The smoky flavor from the grill counterpoints the sweetness of the pineapple and tomato perfectly, leaving you with a well balanced and delicious side for tortilla or plantain chips, as well as chicken or fish.
Caribbean Spice Grilled Salsa
- 1 lb. ripe pineapple, peeled, sliced and cored (you can also use mango or papaya)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced thick
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 oz. ginger, peeled and sliced (2-3 inch piece)
- 1/2 large orange, juiced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground Caribbean Spice,
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Hawaiian sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoons alderwood smoked salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons beer, rum or tequila (optional)
- Lightly oil the pineapple, tomato and onion, so that they won't stick. Place on grill and cook on both sides, until grill marks begin to appear. Remove from grill and cut them into smaller pieces for the food processor.
- In a food processor, add the garlic and ginger and pulse until coarsely chopped. Now put in the rest of the ingredients the food processor and puree.
- Taste for seasoning - you might want to add more salt, lime juice or Caribbean Spice, depending on your taste. Depending on how sweet your fruit is, you might want to add more honey, too.
Make sure to place your pineapple slices away from the hottest parts of the grill; caramelized pineapple requires time (20-30 minutes) and indirect heat.
While I broke everything down in a food processor for the smoother texture and ease of preparation, fans of chunky salsa can chop everything together by hand.
© 2023 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com