Glögg. The name alone makes you feel cozy. From start to finish, this Nordic drink is a delight. It is fun to make, aromatic and nutty and the warm cuppa is simply delicious. Our version breaks the traditional mold with white wine and honey for a lighter beverage, but it still contains all the spices, nuts and fruit that signal Glögg is in the house! After a quick simmer of lightly toasted slivered almonds and Mulling Spice in crisp white wine, the Glögg is tiered with flavors from elderflower liqueur, brandy and cranberries, turning the floral golden liquid into a beautiful blush pink. We recommend making ahead so that the it can sit overnight, as the flavors will meld together and become one. It’s another perfect batch cocktail for the season, and once it’s strained, serve warm and garnish with apples, pears, star anise or a cinnamon stick. Each cup will bring a smile and taste of warm cheer.
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 6 tablespoons Mulling Spice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 750-ml bottles dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups elderflower liqueur
- 1/4 cup Brandy
- In a large pot on medium heat add the slivered almonds and mulling spice. Stir continuously for 1 minute or until almonds start to get golden brown and fragrant. Next add the dried cranberries and stir for 20 seconds. Add in 1 bottle of wine, water and honey. Bring this mixture up to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain the mixture using a fine mesh strainer and discard the solids. Add the strained glogg back to the pot and add in the other bottle of white wine and brandy. Stir and bring the glogg to a light simmer. Avoid overly boiling the glogg or all of the alcohol will evaporate from the mixture. Serve hot in little punch cups. Cheers!
Over Night Method
- This glogg is a great overnight batched cocktail. Feel free to leave the almonds, dried cranberries and Mulling Spice in the glogg overnight in the fridge and strain out the next day. This will make a more spicy nut-forward batch.
© 2022 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com