This go-to chili is sure to please whether you’re cooking in a Dutch oven in the back country or entertaining friends at home. Mild and mellow with layers of spice, this version is not too hot but packed with flavor from Adobo, Fajita Taco Spice and Mexican Oregano. This is our favorite version but you can play with different flavor profiles by changing the Fajita Taco Spice to another chili powder like Chipotle, Ancho or New Mexico. Adobo is the perfect spice base for all Latin soups and stews. A simple shortcut to flavor, it includes onion, garlic and cumin.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon adobo
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 teaspoons fajita taco spice
- 1 can white beans
- 8 oz diced green chiles
- 8 oz chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions and cilantro for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the oil, onion and adobo. Sauté until the onions are translucent and the spices fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and sprinkle with the fajita taco spice. Cook until the chicken pieces are just browned on the outside.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat immediately and simmer 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot in deep bowls with a hearty slice of cornbread.
World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com