El Greco Zucchini Cheddar Muffins
Savory muffins are underrated. While blueberry and lemon poppy seed might make the headlines, cheese, herbs and veggies can work just as well! Our latest recipe yields muffins that are moist, cheesy and almost biscuit like. It’s so satisfying to pull these warm muffins apart. The stringy cheddar will make you salivate.
Baking these at home will fill your kitchen with smells of oregano, basil and garlic, all thanks to our El Greco blend. This Mediterranean spice mix has all of those garden herbs, as well as sumac and lemon peel for acidity. The flavor pairing is perfect for baked goods: rich and comforting, but not overly heavy. They also make the perfect side for a soup or salad… if they last until lunch!
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons El Greco
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1-3/4 cup zucchini, grated
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 10 muffin pan paper liners
- pan spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, whole milk, sour cream, green onions, zucchini, and half a cup of cheddar cheese.
- Fold in the wet ingredients into the dry. Don't over mix the batter, or the muffins will be tough.
- Line your muffin pan with paper liners and pan spray them.
- Evenly divide your mixture among the muffin cups and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top of the muffins. For a garnish, add half a cherry tomato cut side up in the center of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
These are delicious with eggs for breakfast or as a side for soup.
can you substitute flour almond or cocnut amaranth?
Almond flour would be a good substitute or a fine cornmeal. You may need to add a 1/4 cup more milk to help with the moisture content.