We were wowed by this kid friendly recipe popping up all over our social feeds lately. We had to try it! The result is crunchy, warm and will remind you of the best bread pudding. It tastes just as indulgent without the calories. Perfect for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch, you simply pour the custard into a piece of bread and then bake until the toast gets golden and the custard is set in the middle. We made it three ways because there are so many flavor possibilities!
Creating a bread well is key to the success of the custard toast. It will keep the custard from spilling out and the bottom layer will get crispy as it bakes. For ease we used a ramekin to push down on the fluffy bread. Fingers or the back of a spoon work too.
The first toast was strikingly beautiful and delicious. Sweetened with honey and brightened with turmeric the earthy flavors of the spice were nicely complemented by the sweet. We topped it with pistachios and rose petals, for a Persian twist.
Our second flavor was sweetened with maple syrup and garnished with berries and our Cinnamon Toast Spice. This blend was made for toast and rightfully so, using three different cinnamons, a touch of nutmeg and brown sugar. If you have more of a salty tooth, whipping up a savory toast is easy. Season the toast with Everything Bagel Spice. Finish it with avocado and Marsh chile flakes for a little heat.
Spiced Yogurt Custard Toast
- 3 slices of thick sliced soft bread
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon roses
- 1 tablespoon raw pistachios, shelled
- 1 tablespoon honey
Classic Cinnamon Toast
Everything Bagel Toast
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a sheet pan by spraying it with pan spray.
- In a small bowl, add the egg and yogurt. Whisk together to form a smooth custard. Divide the custard into 3 small bowls and set aside. Using the back of a spoon or ramekin, press into the center of the bread to indent and create a well without cutting all the way through. Leave about a quarter inch border around the edge of the toast to prevent the custard from spilling out. Prepare the 3 bread slices.
Pretty Persian - Turmeric, Rose and Pistachio Toast
- Add the turmeric and honey to one of the custard bowls. Stir until combined. Spoon the custard mixture into the indented well and evenly sprinkle roses and pistachios on top. Set the toast on the sheet pan.
Classic Cinnamon Toast - Maple Cinnamon and Berry Toast
- To the second custard bowl add the maple syrup. Stir until combined. Spoon the custard mixture into the indented well and evenly sprinkle Cinnamon Toast Spice on top, along with the berries. Set the toast on the sheet pan.
Everything Bagel Toast - Savory Everything Bagel and Avocado Toast
- Add the remaining custard to the last slice of bread. Sprinkle Everything Bagel Spice on top. Set toast on the prepared sheet pan.
- Baked the three filled toasts for 9-12 minutes. The custard should be set and starting to caramelize on the edges when it is ready. The two sweet toasts will be ready to eat immediately. Garnish the savory toast with avocado slices and a sprinkle of Marash chile flakes.
© 2023 World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com