Tofu Salad with Gomasio and Chili Threads
If you’re not a fan of tofu, this salad may convert you. Tofu is a sponge and it takes on any flavor you marinate it in, so the right seasoning can totally transform this healthy protein. We spiced it up this time, and infused the tofu overnight in soy sauce, ginger, korean chile flakes and garlic. The tofu then gets pan seared for crispy caramelized edges before adding it to the salad. A turmeric honey ginger vinaigrette dresses the peppery arugula and shaved carrots.
A stunning garnish puts the final touch on this delicious dish. The beautiful red threads you see are toasted chili threads. They add fruity mild heat, as well as a little crunch. With a quick dusting of Gomasio, a mix of toasted sesame seeds and pacific sea salt, the salad is complete.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Korean chile flake
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Turmeric Honey Ginger Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tea [kosher salt|https://www.worldspice.com/spices/kosher-salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Chili Threads (pinch per salad)
- 1/4 pound baby arugula
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 carrot, shaved in strips
- 1/2 cup freeze dried edamame
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Gomasio
- Drain the tofu and cut it into cubes. Place the cubes in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Add the remaining marinade ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over tofu and let it sit overnight for best results or at least 5 hours.
Honey ginger vinaigrette
- In a blender add all of the ingredients and blend until emulsified.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Remove the tofu pieces from the marinade and discard. Add tofu to a non-stick pan and fry the tofu on medium-high heat. A minute from being beautifully golden brown add the chili threads to the pan and toast them until fragrant.
- Finish cooking tofu until golden brown.
- Meanwhile In a serving bowl, drizzle the arugula, shaved carrot and cilantro with vinaigrette and season with Gomasio.
- Toss until well mixed and taste for seasoning.
- Garnish salad with seared tofu, edamame, and toasted chili threads.
Leave a Comment